PRAYER ON DIVINE FAVOUR
But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. Genesis 6:8 (NIV)
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. Genesis 6:8 (KJV)
As the two Bible versions quoted above show “Divine favor”, “divine help” or “divine grace” all mean the same thing. We have heard those words used interchangeably and countless times in our churches and in sermons we have listened to. Who doesn’t want divine favor? No one! Everyone wants it. Everyone prays for it.
But sometimes, it seems only few people understand what it means and how to get it— even though everyone wants it and prays for it. What is divine favor? How can one attract divine favor? Can one lose divine favor? Is divine favor for everyone? These questions and many more are what this article wants to focus on.
Meaning of Divine Favor
Attaching the word “divine” to “favor” means that the favor in question doesn’t come from men or through men’s efforts. When we say “divine favor or mercy” we mean a type of mercy or favor that comes from God— the Creator of the Earth, the Heavens, and everything that’s in them. Since He is the Creator of All, God doesn’t consult anyone before favoring a man or looking upon him with grace. So long as someone’s ways pleases God (Proverbs 16:7), the person doesn’t have to do anything spectacular or run endless spiritual marathon race to attract the favor or grace of God. A perfect example of divine favor is the salvation that humanity enjoys through the crucifixion of Christ Jesus.
As the Bible pointed out in Romans 5:8,
“While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Christ’s decision to die for all sinners regardless of whether they believe in him or not, shows that, in the first place, we didn’t do anything to deserve His salvation.
It’s this similar pattern that Yahweh uses in bestowing His favor/grace upon people. So long as someone accepts Jesus as his or her personal Lord and savior, and lives a life of righteousness and holiness, he or she is automatically a candidate of divine favor. It’s as easy as that.
Addressing Wrong Understandings of Divine Favor
A lot of Christians understand divine favor as only financial prosperity, or being among the selected few in a job that attracted thousands of applicants, or successfully winning hotly contested contract biddings. These are just some examples of divine favor. Those aren’t the only things that divine favor is all about. Divine favor is far more than personal financial prosperity or business and career success. It may be an instance of divine favor when you are chosen above other people competing for something, but don’t limit your understanding of divine favor to that instance. Your boss may have a soft spot for you and promote you above your peers. That’s just an example of divine favor. That’s not the only meaning of divine favor.
Here are some Bible verses that show other examples of divine favor that people don’t often think of:
- Finding a good wife in a world full of Jezebels and Delilah’s, is an example of divine favor. As Proverbs 18:22 says: “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.”
- Making progress in life and developing spiritually and physically. 1 Samuel 2:26 talks about Samuel “growing in stature and in favor both with the Lord and with men.”
- It’s divine favor when God accepts our financial, praise, worship, or service offerings. You may not agree with that but consider the story of Cain and Abel in Genesis 4:4. The Bible records that “Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the Lord regarded for Abel and for his offering;”
- Having the wisdom of God is another instance of divine favor that people hardly consider. Proverbs 8:35 says: “For he who finds me [wisdom] finds life and obtains favor from the Lord.”
Ways in Which People Attract Divine Favor
- As pointed out above, you must first accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior and live a holy and righteous life. After that, you are automatically a candidate of divine favor. That’s the greatest requirement for attracting divine favor.
Aside the above, there are some other equally valid ways through which people attract divine favor.
- God Himself can promise His saints divine favor. As Isaiah 62:4 says: ” to your land will it any longer be said, “Desolate”; But you will be called, “My delight is in her,” And your land, “Married”; For the Lord delights in you, And to Him your land will be married.”
- Doing good and shunning evil can pull divine favor on someone. Amos 5:15 says: “Hate evil, love good, And establish justice in the gate! Perhaps the Lord God of hosts May be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.”
- Divine favor can be attracted through personal confessions. Psalm 31:16, Psalm 80:3, Psalm 67:1, etc.
The favor of God isn’t for everyone. It’s only for people whom God Himself chooses. And to be on the list of those who will be chosen, one must accept Jesus and his or her personal Lord and Savior. This has been pointed out time and again. But it can never be stressed enough. The claim is back by Romans 9:15 – 16. 15:
“For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.”
Someone walking in divine favor can lose the privilege when he or she gives opportunity for sin to take control of things. We can’t continue in sin and expect that grace multiplies. Some people stop praying and going to church as soon as divine favor helps them win the contract they contested for with hundreds of other contractors. Some stop reading the Bible and going to prayer meetings as soon as they get that highly contested job. They become too busy to sustain the divine favor. They soon fall into sin and unholiness and watch as things go south. Some people use the money and power they got through divine favor to oppress and unnecessarily punish weak people. Once divine favor begins to work for them, some people become too big to be corrected. The teachings and opinions of their parents or pastors compulsorily become trash. These are some of the reasons great people who enjoyed divine favor, fall from grace and go back to square one. To maintain divine favor, our spiritual attitude and social attitudes must be fine-tuned to reflect the Word and Christ’s examples.
Prayer Points to Provoke Divine Favor
- I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior today and I receive the grace and discipline to live a life of holiness and righteousness. By the power of Christ’s salvation, I am now an automatic candidate of divine favor.
- Every demonic power pushing me to do things that will make the favor of God disappear from my life, die by fire in Jesus name.
- Every evil mark that is competing with the mark of divine favor upon my life, I erase you with the blood of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, I decree and declare that I begin to enjoy every example of divine favor that I know or don’t know.
- You ancestral power, swallowing every evidence that I am a man who enjoys divine favor, lose your power now in Jesus name.
- Whatever is in me that is rejecting the favor of Yahweh, get out right now in the name of Jesus.
- Every power waging spiritual war against my destiny because I enjoy divine favor, you lose that battle war today in Jesus name.
- In the name of Jesus, I will not waste the divine favors I have enjoyed in my life.
- In the name of Jesus, the divine favor of my father will arise anytime I need it.
- I call on the anointing of divine favor to help me retrieve every good thing I have lost in the past due to lack of divine favor.
- Territorial and environmental powers in my place of work and where I live, my favor is untouchable for you in Jesus name.
- In the name of Jesus, the grace of God will speak for me and recommend me in high places where I have no power to speak for myself or display my talents.
- In the name of Jesus, my divine favor shall multiply to all areas of my life.
- O Lord my Father, give me the favor that will equip me to overtake and overthrow all my oppressors and mockers, in the name of Jesus.
- My Father, I look up to you, shower me with the type of favor that takes away shame and reproach, in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, the grace of God that took me to the top will not leave me and let me fall.
- In the name of Jesus, I receive a deeper understanding of divine favor.
- You witchcraft power sucking away the oil of divine favor in my life, die now in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, I decree and declare that the oil of my divine favor overflows.
- In the name of Jesus, I invoke the divine favor that opens every doors of breakthrough that have been shut for a very long time.
- My Father, look upon me with your love, I must not die young in the name of Jesus. I must fulfill destiny.
- In the name of Jesus, I invoke the type of favor that makes everything a man touches to prosper, grow, and multiply.
- Spiritual thieves of divine favor, I am not your candidate. In the name of Jesus, I declare a blockage against you.
- In the name of Jesus, as from today, favor and grace of God will not pass me by again.
- The anointing for ease, come upon me today, in the name of Jesus. Everything will be easy for me. Every good thing I set out to do will be accomplished easily, in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, as from today I will no longer live on debt again.
- I bless and glorify the Lord for I know these prayers have been answered in the name of Jesus. Hallelujah!