40 Prayer Points To Overcome Sin
BIBLE TEXT: ROMANS 6:14, ROMANS 3:23, ROMANS 6:23,
According to the Scripture, sin is the transgression of the law. This means walking contrary to the dictates and command of God. Sin can also be defined as any form of unrighteousness in the life of an individual, family, community, church, or nation. Additionally, sin can also be stubborn addictions which hinder a Christian from walking perfectly with God. It is our regular wrongdoings.
Sin is one factor that has hindered many Christian from enjoying mutual relationships with God here on earth. In fact, sin is a sinker of life and destiny.
KINDS OF SIN (PSALM 19:12-14)
Sin can be categorized into various kinds. However, for the purpose of this write-up, we shall examine four different kinds of sin, as outlined in the Scripture. They are:
- Secret sins: These are sins we commit ignorantly or unknowingly. Even though we are not aware of these sins as sin, that does not make us free from the guilt of such sins. They can also be sins that we commit in the secret, away from the knowledge and eyes of others. The truth is, sins want to be kept secret. However, such sins cannot remain secret forever. In Numbers 32:23, Moses told the Israelites, “be sure your sin will find you out.” There are examples of people in the Bible who tried to keep their sins secret. Some of them are Achan, Ananias and Sapphira, etc. Though secret sins are hidden from man, they are not hidden from God who sees in the secret.
- Presumptuous sins: Presumptuous sins mean being bold or daring, taking liberties for granted, and acting according to or dictates instead of being guided by God’s principles. Nadab and Abihu, sons of Aaron, Moses and Uzzah are examples of people who sinned presumptuously in the Bible. According to Psalm 19:13, David referred to presumptuous sin as a great transgression.
- Besetting sins (Hebrews 12:1): Another category of sin is besetting sin. These are sins which cling to us closely, can hinder us in our race as Christians and which are so easily committed. Some areas from which besetting sin can arise are smoking, lottery/gambling, prejudice, lying, filthy speech, gossiping, lust, envy, etc. We can overcome besetting sins by the help of the Holy Spirit.
- Willful sins (Hebrews 10: 26-31): These are sins we commit despite knowing that they are sins. It is deliberately refusing to accept and doing what is right and lawful. When a person persistently rejects Christ, despite knowing and experiencing the truth about Christ, such a fellow has committed willful sin.
HOW CAN WE OVERCOME SIN?
People have asked the question, “How can I overcome sin?” We can overcome sin and its temptation by doing the following under listed things:
- Acknowledge yourself as a sinner, and then pray about any sin you have been struggling with.
- Always examine yourself, according to 2Corinthians 13:5.
- Regularly study the word of God and meditate on it.
- Avoid areas where you can be tempted to sin. Flee from every appearance of sin.
- Ask for the power of the Holy Spirit to help you in times of weakness.
40 Prayer Points To Overcome Sin
- Father, thank you for my salvation that was bought with the Blood of Jesus.
- Thank you Lord for the gift of the Holy Spirit to constantly convict me of sin.
- Every power of sin in my life: Father, consume them with fire in the name of Jesus.
- Root of sin in my life, wither by fire in the name of Jesus.
- According to the word of God, sin shall not have dominion over me again in the name of Jesus.
- My Father, my Father! Put hatred for sin in my life in the name of Jesus.
- O sin, you will not sink my life and destiny in the name of Jesus.
- Thought of sin in my heart vanishes in the name of Jesus.
- Father, let there be a wall of separation between me and sin in the name of Jesus.
- I receive power over the spirit of sin in the name of Jesus.
- Every power waiting to destroy my glory through sin, receives an angelic slap in the name of Jesus.
- Blood of Jesus, purge away my sins in the name of Jesus.
- Foothold of the enemy in my life as a result of sin, lose your hold in the name of Jesus.
- Every sinful habit in my life that wants to sink me, crumbles like the wall of Jericho, in the name of Jesus.
- Addiction of sin in my life, sponsored by household enemies, breaks in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord my Father, deliver me from every appearance of sin in the name of Jesus.
- Just like Joseph overcame sin in Potiphar’s house, Father helps me to overcome sin everywhere I find myself in the name of Jesus.
- Sin will not sink my life and blessings in the name of Jesus.
- I receive grace to walk in obedience to Your word O Lord.
- Father, lead me not into temptation of sin in the name of Jesus.
- Every sinful habit questioning my salvation, be destroyed in the name of Jesus.
- Blood of Jesus, flush out every deposit of sin in my life and foundation in the name of Jesus.
- I pull down every altar sponsoring sin in my life in the name of Jesus.
- Every plan of the enemies to rubbish my life and ministry through sin, be frustrated in the name of Jesus.
- Every generational sin of my father’s house, I am not your candidate. I separate myself from the consequences in the name of Jesus.
- Father, break every yoke of sin over my life in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord my God, consecrate me for Your use in the name of Jesus.
- Father, help me to live a victorious life over sin in the name of Jesus.
- Every sickness that has entered into my life through sin, the Blood of Jesus purges them in the name of Jesus.
- Every battle that entered into my life by the sins of my parents, die by fire in the name of Jesus.
- Load of sin in my life, catch fire in the name of Jesus.
- Every battle that I have lost to sin, Father reverses them to me in the name of Jesus.
- Father, strengthen me by the power of the Holy Spirit to say no to sin in the name of Jesus.
- Every virtue that I have lost to sin, O God restore them to me in the name of Jesus.
- God of grace, let Your grace abound towards me to overcome sin in the name of Jesus.
- Holy Spirit, lead me continually into all truth in the name of Jesus.
- Lord, help me to overcome the temptation to sin in the name of Jesus.
- Father, help me to continually keep my eyes on things above in the name of Jesus.
- I break loose from the power of sin that has weighed me down in the name of Jesus.
- I receive grace and power not to go back to sin again in the name of Jesus.