Biblical fasting is simply refraining or abstaining from food for a set period of time in order to achieve our purpose in prayers. Fasting is ordained by God to loose the bands of wickedness. Isaiah 58:6
90 Spiritual Warfare Scriptures KJV
Why Do We Fast?.
- 1. Fasting is ordained to loose the bands of wickedness – Isaiah 58:6, Luke
- 2. We Fast to gain spiritual authority and command.
- 3. Prayer and fasting is a covenant platform for the empowerment of the redeemed.
- 4. Prayer and fasting strengthens our spirit.
- 5. There are certain situations that prayer alone cannot solve, but they must be accompanied by fasting. Matthew 17:21
Benefits /Importance of Fasting
By fasting and praying, we feed our inner man. Biblical fasting strengthens our spirit and reduces the works of the flesh.
Kindly watch Evangelist Joshua on YoutubeSubscribe Now
Fasting with prayer opens up our eyes of understanding: we sharpen our spiritual eyes when we fast and pray.
It facilitates express answers to prayers.
It enhances health and vitality.
It enhances access to divine guidance.
Matthew 17:21, Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
1. Nehemiah 1:4, And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
90 Best Scriptures To Read While Fasting
2. Nehemiah 9:1, Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackcloths, and earth on them.
3. Ezra 8:21, Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.
4. Ezra 8:23, So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us.
5. 1 Samuel 7:6, And they gathered together to , and drew water, and poured it out before the LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, We have sinned against the LORD. And Samuel judged the children of Israel in Mizpeh.
6. 1 Kings 21:9, And she wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people:
7. 1 Kings 21:12, They proclaimed a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people.
8. 1 Kings 21:27, And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth on his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
9. 2 Chronicles 20:3, And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah.
10. Esther 4:3, And in every province, wherever the king’s commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
11. Esther 9:31, To confirm these days of Purim in their times appointed, according as Mordecai the Jew and Esther the queen had enjoined them, and as they had decreed for themselves and for their seed, the matters of the fastings and their cry.
12. Psalms 35:13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom.
13. Psalms 109:24, My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh fails of fatness.
14. Daniel 6:18, Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of music brought before him: and his sleep went from him.
15. Zechariah 7:5, Speak to all the people of the land, and to the priests, saying, When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh month, even those seventy years, did you at all fast to me, even to me?
16. Matthew 4:2, And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungered.
17. Matthew 9:14, Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but your disciples fast not?
18. Matthew 15:32, Then Jesus called his disciples to him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
19. Luke 18:12, I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
20. Isaiah 58:5, Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? will you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Fasting Scriptures For Spiritual Growth
Bible verses to study when you’re fasting for spiritual growth :
21. Acts 13:3, And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
22. 1 Corinthians 7:5, Defraud you not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
23. 1 Corinthians 16:13, Watch you, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
24. Acts 13:2, As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
25. 2 Corinthians 6:5, In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in watchings, in fastings;
26. 2 Corinthians 11:27, In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
27. Philippians 1:27, Only let your conversation be as it becomes the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
28. Daniel 9:3, And I set my face to the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:
29. Joel 2:12, Therefore also now, said the LORD, turn you even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
30. Joel 1:14, Sanctify you a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the LORD your God, and cry to the LORD,
31. Joel 2:15, Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
32. Jonah 3:5, So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
33. Matthew 6:16, Moreover when you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear to men to fast. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.
34. Matthew 6:17, But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face;
35. Matthew 6:18, That you appear not to men to fast, but to your Father which is in secret: and your Father, which sees in secret, shall reward you openly.
36. Matthew 9:15, And Jesus said to them, Can the children of the bridal chamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
37. Luke 5:35, But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
38. Zechariah 8:19, Thus said the LORD of hosts; The fast of the fourth month, and the fast of the fifth, and the fast of the seventh, and the fast of the tenth, shall be to the house of Judah joy and gladness, and cheerful feasts; therefore love the truth and peace.
39. Isaiah 58:4, Behold, you fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: you shall not fast as you do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
40. Jeremiah 36:6, Therefore go you, and read in the roll, which you have written from my mouth, the words of the LORD in the ears of the people in the LORD’s house on the fasting day: and also you shall read them in the ears of all Judah that come out of their cities.
41. Jeremiah 36:9, And it came to pass in the fifth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, in the ninth month, that they proclaimed a fast before the LORD to all the people in Jerusalem, and to all the people that came from the cities of Judah to Jerusalem.
42. Acts 10:30, And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
Fasting Scriptures For Spiritual Breakthrough
Bible verses to read when fasting for spiritual breakthrough:
43. Isaiah 58:6, Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
44. Esther 4:16, Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
45. Matthew 17:21, However, this kind goes not out but by prayer and fasting.
46. Luke 2:37, And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
47. Psalms 35:1, Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
48. Psalms 35:2, Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
49. Psalms 35:3, Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
50. Psalms 31:1, In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
51. Psalms 35:4, Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
52. Psalms 5:8, Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.
53. Psalms 35:5, Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
54. Psalms 35:6, Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.
55. Psalms 27:11, Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
56. Psalms 35:28, And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.
57. Psalms 35:23, Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
58. Psalms 34:5, They looked to him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
59. Psalms 33:20, Our soul waits for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.
Scriptures to read when fasting for a relationship
60. Psalms 68:6 – God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
61. Isaiah 34:16 – Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.
62. 1 Corinthians 7:9
But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
63. Psalm 27:14
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
64. Genesis 2:18 – And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
65. Proverbs 18:22
He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.
66. Genesis 2:24
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
67. 2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
68. 2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
69. Hebrews 13:4
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.
70. Isaiah 40:31
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
71. James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
72. Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
73. Psalms 90:17 – And let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And establish thou the work of our hands upon us; Yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.
74. Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
75. 2 Thessalonians 3:10 – For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
76. Matthew 7:7 – Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you.
77. Colossians 3:23 – And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
78. Exodus 5:18 – Go now and work. No straw will be given you, but you must still deliver the same number of bricks.
79. Proverbs 24:27 – [Put first things first.] Prepare your work outside and get it ready for yourself in the field; and afterward build your house and establish a home.
80. Romans 8:28 – And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
81. Psalm 27:14
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
People who fasted in the Bible
82. Moses (Exodus 34:28) – Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he ate no bread and drank no water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
83. David (2 Samuel 12:16-23) – David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
84. Ezra (Ezra 8:21,23) – So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us.
85. Nehemiah (Nehemiah 9:1, 1:4) – And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,
86. Esther and the Jews (Esther 4:16) – Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
87. King Darius (Daniel 6:18) – Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him.
88. Jesus (Matthew 4:2 ) – And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
89. Prophetess Anna (Luke 2:37) – And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
90. Cornelius (Acts 10:30) – And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,