10 Signs A Person Is Blocking God’s Blessings.
And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you if you obey the voice of the Lord your God.
Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.
There are things inside of you that God wants you to deal with before He can bless you. In the topic we have today, we will be talking about 10 signs to know you are blocking God’s blessings over your life. According to our anchor text in Deuteronomy 28:2, Obedience is the key to unlock blessings from God. In other not to block God from blessing us, we must walk in His wills and purposes for our lives.
Listed below, is 10 signs you are blocking God’s blessings:
1. ABSENCE OF FAITH: Faith is when God is your only option and not your last option. God is a jealous God, when God becomes your last option or an alternative, you are already blocking your blessings. God wants us to have total trust in what only He can do. The bible says in Hebrews11:6a ’Without faith, it is impossible to please God. If we cannot please God, then we are not going to receive blessing from Him. A faithless person cannot receive anything from God. To receive blessings from God, we must trust in the efficacy of His power and have total faith and trust in Him that He is the only one that can help us. Faith is a demonstration of our total trust in God, that we are not doubting Him nor thinking of alternatives asides God.
2. UNFORGIVENESS: One of the signs one can block God’s blessings over one’s life is through unforgiveness against someone that has hurt one in one way or the other. We separate ourselves from God whenever we are holding someone in our heart and refuse to let go of the past. Mathew 6:15 says” But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. For you to get blessings from God, you must release whoever has hurt you, so that God can hear you and bless you.
3. PRIDE: Pride is a feeling of being better than others, it is a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from oneself. Pride is when you are always feeling you can do it on your own and pretend to be strong instead of allowing God to help you. Pride is when you take God out of your plans, example is when you succeed in a thing instead of giving glory to God, you tend to magnify and praise yourself that you did it. This will automatically block God from blessing you. No one should take His place in our lives. James 4:6 says” But he gives us more grace. God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”[a]
4. DOUBTS AND FEAR: Thomas doubted God in the scripture, in John 10:29, Jesus blessed those who believed He was the one they saw, this made Thomas block Jesus from blessing him. James 1:6 says “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. A two minded person cannot receive anything from God.
5.FEAR IS THE OPPOSITE OF FAITH: You will only block God’s blessing over your life when you fear the unknown more than His promises concerning your life. A fearful heart and mind will block God’s blessings. Isaiah 43:1 But now, this is what the Lord says” he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you, I have summoned you by name you are mine. God has called us His own; we do not need to fear what mortal man can do to us. The only person we should fear is God so that we can be blessed by Him.
6. UNGRATEFUL HEART: Another sign that can stop one from being blessed by God, is, ‘an ungrateful heart’. When you do not thank God for all He has done, doing or what He is going to do in your life then you are telling Him you do not need more blessings from Him. The bible says in Psalms 91:1 that” It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord. If the bible says it is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, that means it is a bad thing not to give thanks unto the Lord. The bible also says God inhabits the praises of His people. When we worship and praise God, He opens down the windows of heaven to us. But when all we do is to grumble and complain He shut the heaven against us.
7. SELFISHNESS: When everything is all about you. When all your heart desires are only meant for you, and you are not thinking about other people’s wellbeing, you are blocking God’s blessings over your life. God knows all and He sees all the intention in our hearts, He knows if what we are asking is to bless other people, or to make people suffer or oppress people.
Psalm 24:1 says” The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. This is to tell us that God owns the whole world, and nothing is ours, we must be willing to sacrifice and not be self-centered to receive more blessings from God.
8. ANXIETY: The bible says in Philippians 4:6, Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. An anxious man will do anything to make things happen in his own way and in his own time, rather than trusting God for direction and waiting on God’s timing, the anxiety in him will make him to be faster than God and do what he is not supposed to do, thereby blocking the real blessings of God. Ecclesiastes 3:3a says” There is time for everything. We can block God’s blessings upon our lives if we are too anxious concerning our expectations.
9. BITTERNESS: Living in bitterness either against God or people will block God from blessing one. Sometimes we get bittered when our expectations are taking too long to materialize as expected, we can either get bitter against God by questioning Him and stop praying or stop going to a place of worship. Bitterness can also be against a friend, family or distant person. Any kind of bitterness either against God or man will block God’s blessings over your life.
10. DEAFNESS TO THE VOICE OF GOD. Being deaf to the voice of the Holy spirit either through His words or through man of God towards us, can block God’s blessings over one’s life. It is possible God has given you the instruction on what to do, but you are not hearing what He is saying, this will delay the blessings of God or even block it from happening in one’s life.
SIN: The consequence of sin is spiritual death, which means one is cut off from God. This automatically blocks all blessings that are supposed to be inherited through Christ. God wants us to live in good health and in all manner of blessings, but sin blocks us from reaching out to God. Sin is disobeying the words of God. Galatians 5:16 says” So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. The desire of the flesh is anti- blessing, so if we must get blessed by God, we must do away with sin.