Characteristics Of A Humble Person According To The Bible
The Bible is filled with loads of stories of men whose lives exemplified, sincere humility life. From Moses, Abraham, Daniel, Mordecai, Esther, Noah and down the ages to Jesus and His disciples. All these men at different points in their lives were humble, especially to God. Before we go on to mention the characteristics of a humble person according to the Bible, let’s define what humility means.
What is Humility?
According to Google, Humility is freedom from pride and arrogance. It is a quality of having a modest or low view of one’s importance. A humble person is therefore a person who has these qualities and more. Let’s consider more characteristics of a humble person according to the Bible.
1. Recognition of sinfulness: A humble person recognizes their own sinfulness and need for God’s grace. They do not think they are perfect or above reproach, and they are open to admitting their mistakes and seeking forgiveness.
Kindly watch Evangelist Joshua on YoutubeSubscribe Now
2. Acknowledgment of God’s sovereignty: A humble person acknowledges that God is sovereign and in control. They recognize that they are not the center of the universe and that God has a plan and purpose for their lives.
3. Giving credit and glory to God: A humble person gives credit and glory to God for their successes and blessings. They do not take credit for themselves or attribute their achievements to their own efforts or abilities.
4. Putting others before themselves: A humble person puts others before themselves and is not concerned with their own interests or desires. They are willing to sacrifice their own needs for the benefit of others.
5. Willingness to serve: A humble person is willing to serve others without seeking recognition or reward. They are content to work behind the scenes and let their actions speak for themselves.
6. Teachability: A humble person is teachable and willing to learn from others. They recognize that they do not have all the answers and are open to learning and growing from the experiences and insights of others.
7. Willingness to admit when they are wrong: A humble person is willing to admit when they are wrong and is open to correction. They do not stubbornly cling to their own beliefs and are willing to change their perspective when presented with new information.
8. Not thinking more highly of themselves than they ought: A humble person does not think more highly of themselves than they ought. They do not have an inflated sense of self-importance or an exaggerated view of their own abilities.
9. Recognition of dependence on God: A humble person recognizes that they are not self-sufficient and relies on God for strength and guidance. They do not try to do everything on their own but trust in God’s provision and direction.
10. Lack of arrogance and pride: A humble person is not arrogant or prideful. They do not boast about their accomplishments or try to draw attention to themselves.
11. Lack of envy and jealousy: A humble person does not envy or jealousy of others. They are content with what they have and do not try to compare themselves to others or covet what others have.
12. Lack of desire to elevate themselves above others: A humble person does not seek to elevate themselves above others or make themselves appear superior. They recognize that all people are equal in the eyes of God and do not try to use their status or achievements to lord over others.
13. Lack of boastfulness: A humble person is not boastful or prone to bragging about their accomplishments. They do not try to draw attention to themselves or make themselves appear more important than they are.
14. Lack of desire for attention or recognition: A humble person does not seek attention or recognition for their actions. They are content to let their actions speak for themselves and do not try to draw attention to themselves.
15. Lack of self-righteousness and judgment towards others: A humble person is not self-righteous or judgmental towards others. They do not assume that they are better than others or have all the answers.
16. Lack of stubbornness and resistance to change: A humble person is not stubborn or resistant to change. They are open to new ideas and perspectives and are willing to adapt and change when necessary.
17. Lack of resistance to authority and submission: A humble person is not resistant to authority or submission. They recognize that there is a hierarchy in life and are willing to submit to those.
Conclusion: A humble person according to the scripture will be lifted up. Believers must therefore embrace humility in order to be lifted by God.