Confession Prayers Before Taking Holy Communion
John 6:54-56 – “Whoso eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 “For my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed. 56 “He that eats my flesh and drinks my blood, dwells in me, and I in him.”
1 Corinthians 11:26-27 – “For as often as all of you eat this bread and drink this cup, all of you do show the Lord’s death till he comes. 27 “Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
Holy Communion is one of the ordinances and sacrament given to us by Jesus Christ, accepted by Christians and commanded to partake in for the remembrance purposes. This is done to remind us of the body and blood of Jesus that was broken and poured at the cross for the remission of our sins. This also remind us of the great love Jesus Christ had for us by dying on the cross and exchanging his life for us so we can have eternal life in God.
Partaking in Holy Communion makes Christ live in us and us in him. Since he is in us, we have eternal life and will resurrect on the last day. Holy Communion makes us to connect to Christ and also the spiritual life he gives to us. It makes us to be conscious of sin and to be able to live a life of righteousness, holiness and purity in Jesus Christ. Holy Communion helps to strengthen our faith in Jesus Christ and his promise with his commandments.
However, to be able to share the body and blood for Jesus Christ, one must be born again. In other word, one must have gone through a self-examination, repentance and confession. Holy Communion should not be abused but it is a time for somber reflections and a time to remind ourselves of the heavy debt that we own but can never repay. Jesus Christ came from heaven to pay this heavy debt and without Christ, we are nothing on or by ourselves. It is important that everyone that will partake in the Holy Communion must be in the right frame of mind void of evil thoughts and imagination.
Jesus Christ made us who we are, what we are and that he did when he lay down his life for us. Now let look at few prayers to say when taking the Holy Communion.
Confession Prayers Before Taking Holy Communion
- Father, we thank you for the body and the blood of your son Jesus Christ, we thank you for making it available to bless us in this Communion table in the name of Jesus.
- Lord Jesus, my Christ and Saviour, I bow before you today to partake of your ordinance, please examine my heart today and show me where I have erred or sinned against you so I can repent from them all in Jesus’ name.
- Oh Lord, help me not to eat into condemnation in the mighty name of Jesus.
- Father, reveal unto me very known and non-known sins I have committed and have mercy on me in Jesus’ name.
- Oh Lord, help me and cleanse me so I will not eat unworthily in the name of Jesus.
- As I partake in this Holy Communion, let it give me insight of things and open my eyes to areas I can serve you better in the name of Jesus.
- I decree that after taking this Holy Communion, the blood will cover, cleanse, purify, wash, save and deliver me in the name of Jesus.
- As I partake of the Holy Communion at this table, let your life in me began to be make manifest in the mighty name of Jesus.
- Oh Lord, remove far from me every unconfessed sin, hidden pride, unforgiving spirit, rebellion and all bad things that will not make me worthy of your holy sacrament in the name of Jesus.
- As I take the bread which represent your body broken for my sins, you will cause me to be faithful to this calling in the name of Jesus. Let me be spiritually sensitive and alert to sin and iniquity.
- Oh Lord, Let the bread, go into every part of my body and heal all illness in the name of Jesus.
- Lord, As I drink your blood, make me stronger in all areas in the name of Jesus.
- Oh Lord, let the blood wash away all evil incantations and enchantments done on my body in the name of Jesus.
- By the virtue of your blood in me, I announce my deliverance from sin and demon in the name of Jesus.
- As I partake of your flesh and blood today, Lord, open my eyes to see the solutions to my problems.
- As I partake of the Holy Communion at your table, Lord, let the blood of Jesus flush out every evil deposit in my system in Jesus’ name.
- Oh Lord, as I eat your body and drink your blood, I carry the mark of Christ, I decree freedom from all evil oppressor in the name of Jesus.
- By this Holy Communion, let my blood be replaced by the blood of Jesus, let there be supernatural blood transfusion in the mighty name of Jesus.
- Oh Lord, let this communion never be a judgement or condemnation to my body, spirit and soul in the name of Jesus. May it preserved by life towards holiness, grace and power to live for God alone in Jesus’ name.
- Every time I take the Holy Communion, Lord, make me recommit my life, my heart, my thoughts and everything to you in Jesus’ name. Fill me today with your spirit and let there be renewal of your promises in my life in Jesus’ name.
Every prayer one pray before and after the Holy Communion should be with deep sense of humility, self-examination and a balance to live a life that glorifies God by remembering all the marvelous things he has done for us. It is a call to have a relationship with one another and most especially with God our Father; Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God, the Holy Spirit. Also, we are to live for Christ ONLY as the life we are living is a borrowed life which the giver of life can take any time he chooses to.