How A Christian Can Overcome Fear.
Kindly watch Evangelist Joshua powerful videos on YouTubeSubscribe now
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
We live in a world of uncertainties, where fear of almost everything is the order of the day. Fear kills faster than death itself. Fear hinders one from starting up what the Lord has laid into ones’ heart to do, fear of the known and unknown, we fear if what we planned is going to be successful or fail. Fear leads to anxiety, fear can also mean False, Expectation, Appearing Real. One can be afraid of someone or something. When you allow fear dwells in you, you are already accepting defeat, thereby, saying God cannot help you. The bible says in Isaiah 59:1 “Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. You can overcome fear through prayer and trusting in God who is your father and maker.
Therefore, in our article today, we will be looking at how a Christian can overcome fear.
We are humans, therefore our humanly mind can take charge in a minute, but we must never allow it to overtake or take all our thoughts per time. The bible says we are not of this world… thereby, we should always have the consciousness that we are a spiritual force and think like god that we are. A child of King is always going about with the consciousness that he or she is not ordinary, that he or she is different from every other persons, this is exactly how we as Christians should see ourselves, when we see ourselves this way, fear can never overshadow us even when we are right during trials and tribulations because we know that greater is He that is in us, than He that is in the world.
Listed below are few steps to overcome fear as a Christian.
- Surrender your totality to God. When you surrender your life to Christ, you have the assurance that God is always with you no matter the circumstances. Just like the Psalmist says in Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. As a child of God, you must surrender all, withholding nothing, you must give your all to God, including all that seems too little that is when God can step in and fear will disappear completely from us. And you will overcome fear through the power in the blood of Jesus.
- Walk in faith and not by sight: Be bold as a lion in the face of any trials and tribulations always have that consciousness that God is with you, and trust God Whenever fear comes, counter it with faith. Let God lead you instead of your head, do not work things out in your own calculations, because with men it is always impossible, but with God all things are possible. Look at the problem and say” My God is bigger than you!
- Study the words of God daily. Our minds must be transformed by the words of God daily. Every problem has a solution written in the words of God; therefore, it is expedient for us to study the word of God daily to know what word we can use to counter every form of fear that may arise or that that may come our way. The word of God is our daily guide and guard, it shields us from any form of fear, if only we the word in our heart. Those that walk by faith do not look at the storm, they focus on God and God alone. They say to themselves that let God be true and all men liars, they say to themselves that even if God does not help me, I will still worship Him all the days of my life. That is how to counter faith. The absence of faith is fear. So, kick out the fear in you and replace it with total faith in God.
- Be filled with Love. Love cast out fear. The bible says in 1 John4:18 that” There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment, fear torments, choose to love God and people around you, you will see fear disappears into the thin air. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. When love prevails, fear stops from existing.
- Fear the Lord: Instead of allowing fear to torment and bring doubt to your heart, channel the fear to the fear of God. Fear God instead of being afraid of the known or the unknown. The bible says in the book of Ecclesiastes 12:13 that “Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. To fear God means to honor and obey God and to own God at His words that He owns the final say over your life. So instead of fearing what the future holds, fear the one that owns the future. God had already warned us not to fear those who can kill the body alone just like the scripture says in Mathew 10:28 that” Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Seek Peace of God. Fear brings torture, fear disorganizes one, when one is afraid, you cannot think straight, and solutions cannot come when fear is in place. The bible says in the book of John 14:27 that” Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. The peace of God suppresses fear, so whenever we are in any situation that may bring fear, we should seek the peace of God, Peace of God surpasses all understanding. Peace is one the greatest benefits we have has a child of God, so we must ask God for peace during the chaos.
- Seek professional help. Asides the spiritual aspect, try as much as possible to seek professional or medical help, ones you notice the fear is more than what you can bear. Fear can lead to sickness, depression or even death, so it is advisable to seek counsel if you feel you cannot handle it on your own.
Pray Always. As much as all the points above are valid, fear could be an evil arrow, that is fired in the spirit realm, therefore you must be spiritual about anything you do not want in your life. Fear torments, therefore, we must rebuke very spirit of fear in us by praying. We must pray till we have that peace that is, praying without ceasing. Praying can be done if we can talk to God. 1 Thessalonians 5;16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Talking to God is the utmost step we can take in conquering fear. Stay in the place in prayer, commune with God, and hear from Him, God owns the final say over our lives that is why we must commune with Him, no matter the report we get, we must commune with Him in prayers and not give up or give in to fear.