How A Christian Can Overcome Sin
1 CORINTHIANS 6: 9-10
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”
Sin in the Bible is described as breaking God’s commandments. Sin is immoral and selfish in nature. Sin takes away the presence of God away from one and gives the devil has easy access to one. Sin takes away the glory of God from one’s life just as the bible says’ in Romans 3: 23, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The bible also says the soul that sinned shall die. Sin brings destruction and worst of it all sin brings death on one. The devil knows that every Christian has the blessings of God deposited in them as long as one is a Christian, but he will always want to entice one with sin so that one can deviate from God’s purpose and plans for one’s life. Sin has cut short so many lives, that is why as a Christian we must do away with any appearance of sin. So many destinies have been lost or ruined because of sin, which can be in the form of fornications, adulteries, smoking, stealing, lying, idolatries, robberies, kidnappings, blackmailing, and every evil act. Sin should not be found in the life of a Christian, because we are Christ-like and people should see Christ in us anywhere we find ourselves, either in the secret or in the open.
However, there are steps to take to overcome sin, we will be looking at some steps to take to overcome sin:
- PRAY: The first step to take as a Christian that is willing to overcome sin is to pray and humble oneself before God. Pray to God for forgiveness with a sincere heart. Pray for grace to overcome sin permanently. The bible says ‘If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us from every unrighteousness. If a Christian has an addiction to a particular sin, the person must go before God in prayers and fasting, ask God for grace to do away with sin. God gives grace to anyone that asks for grace. However, we have our part to play asides praying, but God crowns our effort also so prayer is needed greatly to overcome sin.
- WATCH YOUR ASSOCIATION: Association you keep has a lot to do with if you will overcome sin or not, if you want to overcome sin, disassociate yourself from friends or things that make you sin. If you know that the friends you keep make you fall short of God’s glory or take away the presence of God from your life, run as fast as you can away from them. To overcome sin, you must make some deliberate decisions. These decisions will affect your relationships with some of your friends that are not genuinely children of God. There is a saying that “show me your friend and I will tell you who you are. In order to overcome sin, you have to associate with people that will draw you closer to God and not people that will take God away from you.
- STAY AWAY FROM TEMPTATION: In a situation where you know that adultery or fornication is an addiction you are trying to overcome, you must stay away from going to a club house, or any where you can be easily distracted to commit the sin. Another example could be in the office where you notice you have been enticed by a lady or a man, you must find a way to stay away from that particular person, and peradventure something will bring you together, it has to be official and must be in an open environment. Don’t stay alone in a closed or dark room together. Or yours is stealing, stay away from being tempted, remember even our Lord Jesus Christ was tempted but by God’s grace He was able to overcome it. This is to tell us no one is above temptation; we will be tempted but we must not fall but flee from any form of temptation.
- GUARD YOUR LIFE WITH THE WORDS OF GOD. Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. It shows me the way wherein I should go. The words of God guide and guard us against every form of sin. We must cultivate the habit of reading and meditating on the words of God every day. To overcome sin, we must find time every day to meditate on the words of God. The Bible says in Joshua 1;8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Its only when sin is absent in one’s life that one can have good success, therefore, the word of God must be our light every day.
- ATTEND A BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCH: A church that shares the words of God undiluted must be our priority, if we must overcome sin. Don’t go for the church that is sugar coating the words of God. Make a bible believing church your church, the church that will let you know if you are going astray and bring you back to God, not the church that will encourage you to do the things God hates.
- HAVE AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER: Getting an accountability partner is another way to overcome sin. Get someone who you listen to, who you report to, and who directs you in the way of the Lord. Having an accountability partner makes you adjust and flee from temptations, because you will always be conscious of the person
- DON’T GIVE UP: It is possible to fall into sin sometimes, the bible says in Proverbs 24:16 For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity. Whenever you fall into sin, never give up on yourself, God is a merciful God, He sees our hearts and knows all, but try as much as possible not to fall again, do not take the grace of God upon your life for granted.