Importance Of Daily Devotional Time With God.
As Christians and children of God, it’s important that we create time to devote to God on a daily basis. Mapping out a particular time to have divine moments and connection with God daily is very essential. There are believers in Christ who decided to take it as a daily routine, early in the morning, before they begin their daily activities, to devote to the Lord. These believers understand the power of connecting with God before the start of the day. There are many benefits of devoting time to God and for the purpose of this article I will highlight some of these benefits. Kindly read carefully as I bring to your knowledge these awesome benefits below.
1) To Create A Personal Relationship With God: According to the book of Matthew, you will see where Jesus said in His word, instructing us to create a cordial relationship with God Almighty. Let’s look at Matthew 6: 31 – 34.
Matthew 6:31 – 34
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Kindly watch Evangelist Joshua on YoutubeSubscribe Now
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
In His word, Jesus said that we shouldn’t be bothered about what we would eat and drink because it will always be provided, but rather we should thirst and hunger for a close, deep and strong relationship with God, spending quality time trying to know Him and letting Him open Himself to us through His word for a clearer understanding of Him. Once we create this relationship with Him, every other material needs that we wants would be adequately provided for us. When you devote a quality time or a specific time to studying the word daily, you’re creating a personal relationship with God through this means. Taking out time, being alone and in a quiet place, meditating and studying His word. This is what God expects from His children.
- To Maintain A Good Level Of Spiritual Growth: Just as your stomach needs food and your body needs nourishment for it to grow, glow and flourish, so does your soul as a child of God needs spiritual upliftment and growth. Spiritual growth is one of the very important reason why you should devote your time daily to God. Let’s look at 1st Peter 2: 1- 3
1Peter 2 : 1 – 3 KJV
1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
This Bible passage is talking about spiritual growth. That, we as brethren in Christ should hunger and thirst for salvation so as to help our hearts get cleansed of all form of iniquity and sin. We should focus on growing spiritually as we open our hearts to the teachings of the Holy Spirit through the word of God as we devote our time fellowshipping with Him, meditating on His word and having a sober reflection of our lifestyle and interaction with our fellow brethren and also the unbelievers. When we grow spiritually, we tend to put on the image of Christ and it will also reflect on our daily activities as we go into the world and do our daily activities whether in the house of God, on evangelical movement, in our place of work or business, and within the community we live in. Spiritual growth puts us in check and helps us avoid falling for the temptations of the flesh. Spiritual growth is highly beneficial for everyone who seeks the face of Christ.
- To Receive Clear Direction: Devoting time each day to studying the word of God and worshipping helps us as Christians to find the right direction in which we should follow before making important decisions about our lives both physically and spiritually. Daily devotion is just like a compass that helps us find the bearing of our lives, it’s also like a map that leads us to our destination and giving clarity on how we should move. Let’s look at John 16: 13 – 15.
John 16: 13 – 15
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
In this scripture, Jesus told and affirmed to us that the Holy Spirit will guide and direct us in truth on what to do as children of God. That the Holy Spirit will make known to us all that we are confused about, He will be our guide on the path of righteousness and will also order our steps. The daily devotion we give to God, releases the Holy Spirit upon us as we study and meditate on the word, it fills us with the knowledge on what to do and what to avoid. He will help us in making decisions easier. When you do your devotions in the morning (at the start of the day), it will help smoothen the journey of the rest of the day. Begin your day with morning devotions and receive the supernatural direction from God.
- Opens Your Heart Up In Worship: God loves to be praised and worshipped by us. He doesn’t eat or drink, but his food is the praises and worship we offer unto Him. Waking up in the morning to engage in morning devotion opens your heart up in worship. Morning devotion sets your soul up in flames to adore and praise God. Devotions brings to heart uncountable reasons, experiences and situations that triggers you to want to worship and uplift God’s name in praises. It fills your heart with gratitude. Let’s look at Psalms 63 : 1 – 4
Psalms 63: 1 – 4 KJV
1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
In the scripture above and in the book of Psalms, you’ll see that David have experienced the power and the might of God, he has experienced God’s good deeds in his life and in gratitude and appreciation he opened his heart and soul up to God in genuine praise and worship. He has seen the glorious works of God. He was devoted to seeking and praising the name of the Lord. This also is what daily devotion does for us, the children of God, glorifying God in a way that He’s deserving of Him. As we honour, praise and glorify God, He in turn blesses us mightily and keeps proving Himself and making Himself made manifest in our lives everyday.
- To Find Peace, Refuge and Solace in Christ: In the word of God, we find peace and the assurance that God is with us through the thick and thin. We are assured that we will find the rest we seek and the inner peace of mind that we need. Out there in the world is restlessness and anxiety, but when we come inward, in the presence of God, through our daily devotions, we always feel the peace that God gives to us through the presence of His Holy Spirit. Let’s look at Psalm 29 : 11
Psalm 29: 11
11 The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.
According to the scripture, there’s the assurance of inner strength and peace that God gives to those who seek Him and devote time to dining with Him in fellowshipping with Him.
Again, let’s look at another scripture; 1Peter 5 : 7
1st Peter 5:7 KJV
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you
The Bible passage above says that when we as the sons of God, in faith and in trust with God, take our burden and place our anxiety at His feet, He will definitely give us the peace of mind that we seek. This is another assurance given to us from God. When you devote your time to God, your burden would be lifted up and peace would be given to you.
There’s also another Bible passage we should look at; Psalm 91 : 4 – 5
Psalm 91: 4 – 5 KJV
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
This passage in the book of Psalms is a confirmation that God will always shield and protect His children. His children can always find refuge in Him. You as a child of God can always find refuge in God. Your daily devotional activities will help your faith in God stand firm as you study, digest and understand His word daily.
Dearly beloved, the word of God is powerful and it contains everything you need to know as a child of God. This is why the benefits that comes to devoting quality time to God daily is very essential for you as a child of God. Endeavor to make it a habit of waking up to devote some time to God on a regular basis. Stay blessed!