PRAYER TO BREAK FAMILY CURSES
“Maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin, yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.” Exodus 34:7
‘But if they will confess their sins and the sins of their ancestors—their unfaithfulness and their hostility toward me, 41 which made me hostile toward them so that I sent them into the land of their enemies—then when their uncircumcised hearts are humbled and they pay for their sin, 42 I will remember my covenant with Jacob and my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land.” Leviticus 26:40 – 42
“Because you have done this, you and your descendants will suffer from Naaman’s leprosy forever.” 2 Kings 5:27
What is a Family Curse?
Kindly watch Evangelist Joshua on YoutubeSubscribe Now
A family or generational curse is a foundational problem inherited through blood. A family curse is a curse that is passed down from one generation to the next. We can receive family curses the same way we receive an inheritance of physical traits from our parents. The same way blessings can be inherited, curses too can be inherited. It’s a sad thing that one can receive generational curses even if one doesn’t know anything about what led to the curses.
A family curse can appear in the form of alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual sin, abuse, divorce, failure, poverty, etc.. It can appear in the form of health challenges like heart disease, cancer, mental illness, bad eyesight, or any kind of sickness. Watch it! If you suffer any of these things and you discovered that it’s a pattern in your family, it could be a generational curse. You must make up your mind to fight it and not pass it on to your own children.
Argument Against Family Curse
There are some who argue that the teaching on family curse is not biblical. Here is the verse they use as main point of argument:
(Ezek 18:14-20) Now, lo, if he beget a son, that seeth all his father’s sins which he hath done, and considereth, and doeth not such like, (15) That hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, hath not defiled his neighbour’s wife, (16) Neither hath oppressed any, hath not withholding the pledge, neither hath spoiled by violence, but hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment, (17) That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live. (18) As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity. (19) Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live. (20) The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
While these Bible verses show how God can shield someone against family curses so long as the person makes his work with God, straight, the verse didn’t prove that the other teachings on family curse aren’t true.
Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned—Romans 5:12
The above Bible verse shows that one can partake in an affliction without being involved in the wrong act that led to the affliction, in the first place. Similarly, one can partake in a blessing without being involved in the
In 2 Kings 5:27 (quoted at the beginning of this article) we saw how Elijah placed a curse on Gehazi and his entire generation. Through the curse upon Gehazi, all his children will be lepers, even though they didn’t know and weren’t involved in Gehazi’s wrong actions.
Another familiar biblical example that proves that family curse is real, is found in the story of Jacob and Reuben. In Genesis 49:3-5, Jacob cursed Reuben because of Reuben’s sexual misconduct. Jacob said: Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, excelling in honor, excelling in power. Uncontrolled as the waters, you will no longer excel, because you went up to your father’s bed, onto my couch, and defiled it. As a result of this curse, the Reubenites (all descendants of Reuben) suffered three things:
- Living below full capacity
- Premature death
- Limited population size
This is evident in the prayer Moses prayed to break the curse. In Deuteronomy 33:6, he prayed and said “Let Reuben live and not die, nor let his men be few.” From the foregoing, I think it’s okay to say family curse is real. And it can destroy someone’s destiny. In his book, Keys for Deliverance, Jakes Kail listed four types of family curse. Below are the 4 types of family curse according to Kail.
4 Types of Family Curses
There is no exact list of the different kinds of generational curses, but based on Scriptural examples and real-world experience, the list below was produced. There can certainly be overlap in some of these, but the distinctions might be helpful in identifying when there is a generational stronghold at work.
- IDOLATRY/THE OCCULT
The Exodus 20:4 – 6 speak specifically about the sin of idolatry. Idolatry relates to the worship of anything other than the one true living God. This can happen in the traditional sense of the worship of physical idols, but idolatry is much broader than this. The Bible speaks of setting up idols in the heart, and also equates covetousness with idolatry (see Ezekiel 14:3 and Colossians 3:5). Even good things can become idols if we allow them to take the place of God. We are to ascribe to God the highest worth and give Him our love and devotion above all else.
Another specific type of idolatry is involvement in the occult. We will look more extensively at this topic in chapter 12, but any type of involvement in the occult is equated with idolatry. It is seeking to gain from evil spirits what we are only meant to gain from God. Many types of participation in occult practices and secret societies require you to take oaths and curses, and even commit your children to these curses.
Idolatry and occult involvement is an iniquity that is visited upon the family line and passes from one generation to the next. These curses can take the form of an overshadowing darkness over a person’s life, unexplainable sickness and pain, a drawing to spiritual darkness, or other destructive patterns.
- SINFUL PATTERNS
Have you ever wondered why some people are prone to certain sins while others are not? There are various factors that can influence this, but one of them is generational curses. Sinful strongholds that are not broken end up being passed down to the next generation. If there is a pattern of sexual sin in your family line, this may be a bigger battle for you than for others. If one of your parents couldn’t conquer uncontrollable anger, you may find that you are also prone to outbursts of rage. The same could be said of worry, greed, unbelief, pride, or various other types of sin.
We can see examples of this dynamic in Scripture. While Abraham is considered the father of the faith and had a tremendous walk with God, he had his sins and flaws like the rest of us. One time he used deception to protect himself before a king, asking Sarah to lie about being his wife and to claim only to be his sister. What is fascinating is that Abraham’s son, Isaac, fell into this exact same trap. And then we know that Isaac’s son, Jacob, had a problem with using deception. We can see that this pattern of sin was passed from one generation to the next.
To be clear, we can never blame our parents or previous generations for our own choices and sins. We must take responsibility and repent where we have sinned. But being able to identify generational curses and strongholds can help explain why we battle certain sins more than others and can help us get free. We can receive deliverance from sinful strongholds and any evil spirits that are attached to them, and we can begin to walk in the blessing of God. What we conquer, our children will inherit!
- DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIORS AND FAULTY MINDSETS
Similar to sinful patterns, destructive behaviors can be passed through the family line. You can often see cycles of harmful tendencies going from one generation to the next. Suicidal inclinations and self-harm can go from parents to children. Abuse of all kinds can end up passing through a family line for generations. Addictions to alcohol and drugs can run in the family. Patterns of marital breakdown and divorce can be traced through a lineage. The enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy; and he not only wants to lay hold of individuals, but also to get a stronghold in whole family lines.
Destructive generational behaviors can usually be obvious to identify, but faulty mindsets can be subtler. For example, religious strongholds of legalism and traditionalism can be passed down. Consider Stephen’s rebuke to the religious leaders of his day: “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you” (Acts 7:51, emphasis added). There was a generational resistance to hearing God’s voice and allowing the Holy Spirit to work. There were traditions passed from one generation to the next which opposed the work of God, even though they were religious in nature.
Mindsets of condemnation, perfectionism, skepticism and unbelief, judgmental attitudes, and other unhealthy strongholds can flow through the family line.
- PHYSICAL/MENTAL ILLNESSES
One of the first things that doctors do is check into your family’s medical history. They know that certain types of diseases have a tendency to pass on through the family line. But what they may not recognize is that this pattern can actually be a spiritual problem, not just a genetic one. While not every sickness is the result of a curse, sickness, disease, and mental torment are all included in the list of curses that are outlined in Scripture (see Deuteronomy 28:20-22, 27-28, 58-61). Deuteronomy 28:59 speaks specifically of plagues coming upon “you and your descendants”, showing the generational impact.
Diseases such as cancer and heart disease; mental health issues of depression, bi-polar disorder, and anxiety; problems with barrenness or miscarriages; these can all be passed through the family line and be inherited. God’s heart for His children is never for sickness, disease, or mental torment to afflict them. His heart is to bless and to heal, but the consequences of the Fall and the personal sins of people have opened the way for all types of destruction and death in the world. Being aware of the reality of generational sickness and disease should not scare us, but equip us to receive healing if what we are dealing with is a generational curse.
Prayers to Break Family Curses
- In the name of Jesus, I break away from the link of every family curse that affected my father, mother, and ancestors.
- I decree and declare that I belong to the family of God. I can no longer suffer the same curses my family suffer.
- You family curse of failure at the edge of breakthrough, die in the name of Jesus.
- Every family curse causing stagnancy and backwardness in my life, scatter in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, I receive the fire to overcome every family curse that has made my life miserable for many years.
- In the name of Jesus, I decree and declare that the battles that my parents fought will not pass on to me and my children. In the name of Jesus, the battles end with my parents.
- Every satanic altar where my name has been registered for suffering and sorrow, because of the curses upon my family, I command that altar to burn to ashes in the name of Jesus.
- Demonic spirits, assigned to fulfill the mission of family curses in my marriage and in life, in the name of Jesus, I bring you under control.
- Every evil pattern operating in my family, today is your end, end in the name of Jesus.
- By the power in the name of Jesus, I break every chain and link that connects me to the curses in my family.
- Powers that say I will not go far more than my parents, you are a liar. Die in the name of Jesus.
- Everything I have lost in my life because of family curses, I take them back today in the name of Jesus.
- You family curse, making me labor for nothing in my business and career, die by fire in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, I ask for the forgiveness of sins and the sins of my parents and ancestors.
- In the name of Jesus, may the blood of Jesus, purge away satanic curses in my blood.
- You family curses stopping me from meeting my destiny helpers, I end you today in the name of Jesus.
- You sickness and disease that came into my life through bloodline, I tell you to get out now, in the name of Jesus.
- I dismantle every wall of family curses that is being built for my unborn children in the name of Jesus.
- You family curses, making me not to excel like my peers, burn to ashes today in the name of Jesus.
- Whoever has the key to my blessings, locate me today in the name of Jesus.
- In the name of Jesus, I scatter every family curses that want to scatter my marriage in the name of Jesus.
- Shout this loud and clear: my foundation, receive the fire of God right now in the name of Jesus.
- Every family curse that has kept me in bondage till now, I convert you to my blessings in the name of Jesus.
- Family curses affecting my hands and making me fail in everything I lay hands in, die today in the name of Jesus.
- You family curse that has vowed to keep me in poverty till old age, you are a liar. Die in the name of Jesus.
- Thank God for answered prayers. Glorify his holy name.